Thursday, August 6, 2009

Bittersweet

Yesterday was one of those days that you pray for but when it comes you aren't sure you want it. We took Daren to the Mission Training Center (MTC) in Provo. It was a long day of riding since we just dropped him off and drove back home. He was excited to get started and just a little nervous too. They have changed the procedure for new missionaries entering and there is no longer a meeting with the families. Instead we went to the parking lot across the street for a few minutes of pictures and good-byes. Then we drove across the street and unloaded his luggage at the curb, gave hugs and more good-byes and off he went. I think I prefer that to a large room of people crying.

After we were back on the freeway and headed for home, Scott noticed that he had left his scriptures in the back seat. We weren't sure how to get them to him, so instead of turning around we stopped in Tremonton and put them in the mail. Hopefully he gets them today or tomorrow. I'm sure he's lost without them. He will make a super missionary in Richmond Virginia, but I will really miss him. I've been a little homesick today and I know that will get better as soon as I get a letter. For now all we can do is pray for him and write letters.

2 comments:

  1. He will be a superb missionary! But letting them go is such a bittersweet experience. There is no where else in the world you would rather have them be . . . but that chair at the dining room table is so empty, their room is so quiet . . . it is tough!

    Love you all!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi, you don't know me but I have had the honor of meeting Elder Rockwood here in Virginia. My name is Karen and we are in Franklin VA where he is currently serving in our ward. I also know Cheryl Lynch and told her that I had met your son and she said that there was a link to your blog from her blog so I thought I'd come and snoop! Really is a small world. We will have the pleasure of feeding him and his companion on Christmas Day and we feel blessed to have gotten to them first! Merry Christmas!

    ReplyDelete